fbpx

Shock Chlorine: How to Use It Perfectly?

banner article green water

Want to swim in your pool on a sunny day? But… the water is green. As annoying as it may sound, it is simply due to the unusual presence of algae in the water. In this case, a shock treatment allows you to get clear and transparent water. But how and when should this treatment take place?

Shock Treatment: When and Why?

Shock treatment is the last resort before changing the water in a spa or swimming pool. This treatment is carried out once or twice a year, often when restarting or wintering. You may need exceptional treatment if your water turns green or cloudy. The shock treatment allows it to rise significantly and instantly the chlorine level. In other words, it is a disinfection booster. Note that careful and frequent maintenance of your water will prevent you from using it.

Whether it’s an above-ground pool, an in-ground pool or a spa, a shock treatment may be necessary throughout the year. This may be due to: 

  • fluctuating weather (see our article)  ;
  • high use of your pool;
  • faulty filtration equipment. 

The presence of algae can thus occur within 48 hours. A shock treatment is therefore used used for prevention or treatment. Its chemical components have the ability to quickly eliminate all microorganisms, bacteria, algae or fungi.

How Do I Carry Out My Chlorine Shock Treatment?

There are different steps to follow for this shock treatment:

  1. The first step is to prepare the pool by removing impurities from the walls and water;
  2. The second step is to check the filter and adjust the level of pH depending on the shock product selected ;
  3. Third, mix the product in a bucket of hot water to help it dissolve and spread the mixture along your pool;
  4. Then , the filtration system is activated to circulate the product while waiting for it to take effect. The treatment can last from 48 hours to several weeks depending on the volume of water and its condition. 

Swimming is certainly not allowed during the treatment and within 8 hours after the treatment. It is therefore best to carry it out in the evening.

Once you have completed these steps, you will need to check the water condition and pH level frequently until the water is clear.

Sometimes the water can stay cloudy. A clarifier can be used to remove the last remaining particles and algae. Finally, the walls, the water pipe and the filter must be cleaned. You can then fully enjoy your swimming pool!

A Few Safety Tips

  • Wash your hands thoroughly after handling the products;
  • Handle the products safely, outdoors and away from children;
  • Avoid mixing several different chemicals;
  • Always add chlorine to the water, not the other way around;
  • Store products in a cool, dry place, well ventilated and protected from sunlight;
  • Do not store chlorine near acidic products (such as PH-).

You own a swimming pool but do not yet have an EcO monitor? Discover it here!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.