Heatwave and Pool: How to Limit the Damage?
Experienced pool owners already know it: maintaining your pool during the heatwave can turn out to be a real hell. This is why continuous filtration and careful monitoring of pH and disinfection are essential.
What Hot Temperatures Do to Your Pool
Who says heat wave says sun at the zenith, rise in water temperature and therefore accelerated proliferation of bacteria, algae and other organic elements in the water.
In order not to end up with green water when the temperature exceeds 86 F°,it is imperative to filter the water continuously!
Watch the water level: in fact, warmer water means significant evaporation. Check that the water level does not drop below the minimum level, which could cause the pump to lose prime or less efficient filtration.
Monitor the level of stabilizer in the pool. The purpose of the stabilizer is to protect the chlorine against UV rays. However, when it exceeds 100ppm, the stabilizer will inhibit the disinfectant effect of chlorine and prevent the disinfection potential (ORP) from rising.
Before topping up the water, first check the regulations in force in your area. During periods of high heat, it is possible that your department or your municipality prohibits the filling of the swimming pool with running water.
Pool Maintenance During the Heatwave
- Leave the pump running all the time, the more you filter the less you risk the proliferation of algae or bacteria.
Replace the cover bubbles by a reverberating tarpaulin. If the bubble cover is used to heat the water in the pool thanks to its translucent bubbles, the reverberant cover screens the sun and the heat it reflects thanks to its opaque metallic coating. It also limits the evaporation of water,
As soon as the pool is not in use, cover it with your shutter or reflective tarpaulin. On the other hand, in the evening, when the air temperature drops, do not hesitate to uncover the pool to cool the water and let the combined chlorine evaporate.
- To prevent the proliferation of algae and microbes, it is important to maintain sufficient disinfection potential or even higher than the average usually recommended. Count an ORP of at least 700mv to prevent the water from turning green. To do this, always keep some slow chlorine tablet diffusing in the pool skimmer or a floating diffuser.
- Monitor daily the pH of the water and adjust the levels if necessary.
- If you have the possibility, try to protect your pool from the scorching sun . Umbrella, shelter, solar cover, the less the water will be hot and exposed to UV rays, the more it will be pleasant, healthy and easy to maintain.
- Use iopool, the water analyzer EcO water and the application in order to monitor the balance parameters of your water as closely as possible without the hassle. 😎
- Never allow achild to bathe without the presence of an adult;
- Cover the head of the youngest and the oldest with a cap or hat;
- Avoid long sun exposure between 11am and 3pm;
- Enter the water gradually: first wet the neck, back and chest. Avoid jumping into the pool all at once if you haven't been in the water yet;
- Drink water regularly to avoid dehydration. PS: beer or mojito do not count (unfortunately). 😆
Are you going on vacation? Find all our advice for a well-managed swimming pool, even during your vacation.