Foam in My Spa, Causes and How to Get Rid of It
You want to relax in your spa after a long day at work but it is covered with a layer of foam. Which does not make you want to swim there. Fortunately, let us explain to you how to prevent its appearance and how to get rid of it.
- First of all, the number of products present in the water can impact foam development. There may be too much or too little. Remember to respect the dosages indicated on the labels;
- Then, water quality is another possible factor. In fact, through use, water can accumulate the remains of body lotions, body hair, hair, and other substances;
- Finally, water hardness can greatly trigger the appearance of foam. Hard water will foam more than soft water. More info on the water hardness is in this article.
Prevent the Appearance of Foam
To prevent your hot-tub from becoming foamy, here are some tips:
- Clean the pipes of your spa once a year with a product against biofilms that accumulate and can be responsible for foam;
- Make operate the filtration minimum of 18 hours a day;
- Maintain a good disinfection level and a pH between 7.2 and 7.4. To do this, you can check the rates up to twice a week. This article contains more information on the different methods of pH measurement;
- Always rinse your body and feet with clear water before entering the spa. This helps prevent the accumulation of organic debris such as creams in the water.
By carrying out these few actions, you will avoid the formation of foam in your spa.
In most cases, it will suffice to use an anti-foam product for spa. It is also possible to combine the latter with a shock treatment to purify the water if the situation is critical. It is therefore not necessary to empty your spa, unless the problem becomes recurrent.
Remember to mechanically remove as much substance as possible with a landing net to speed up and optimize the process.
Depending on the product chosen, follow the recommended quantities and instructions for use for optimal maintenance. Activate the filtration to thoroughly mix the anti-foam product in your spa water.