fbpx

6 reasons not to use bleach in your pool !

L'eau de javel est un mauvais réflexe

6 reasons why you should avoid disinfecting your pool with bleach instead of chlorine

1. Bleach is very low in active chlorine concentration (between 2.5 and 5% active chlorine at most!). It will therefore require astronomical quantities of bleach to obtain the same disinfection results as with suitable chlorinated products (chlorine tabs, fast chlorine, etc…).;
  2. Bleach has a very high pH (pH=12), which leads to an overall increase in the pH of your pool and requires rebalancing with pH- (acidity enhancer).;
  3. Bleach degrades very quickly during storage, which further reduces its concentration of active chlorine and therefore its disinfection capacity. This makes the dosing of treatments hazardous and random.;
  4. Bleach is very unstable and degrades very quickly under sunlight (UV). It is, therefore, necessary to increase the number of treatments, which is neither economic, ecological nor good for health.;
  5. Bleach increases the appearance of limescale in the pool, which can cause problems with the scaling of the pool and equipment, a pretty greyish deposit in the bottom of the pool, and cloudy water.;
  6. Finally, if it is not properly dosed, bleach can become dangerous for bathers! Pool water that is too concentrated in bleach can become toxic, irritating the eyes, skin, and respiratory tract of swimmers.

So stop disinfecting your pool with bleach right now and choose a safe, efficient, and economical solution like the iopool system instead.

Special Action
EcO, smart monitor for swimming pool from iopool

20$ USD DISCOUNT ON YOUR PACK

Get your EcO Start Pack at an even lower rate.

Valid on the iopool store only

More information: iopool.com

21 thoughts on “6 reasons not to use bleach in your pool !

1. Pingback: Water pH - The Chemical Balance Of Your Pool - iopool

2. Pool Professional says:

You are misleading the public. Do you even maintain pools? Ever cleaned a pool? Rewrite the article with the facts.

3. Pool Professional says:

Liquid Household Bleach is fine to use in your pool. Use regular bleach without scent. Don’t use the low splash kind. Bleach is chlorine in liquid form. Sodium hypochlorite is household bleach; the exact same ingredient as liquid pool chlorinator. One is 6 percent the other 10 percent. I generally use it only for shocking a pool. However, it can be used to maintain a pool if you test and dose regularly. I’d use it in the evening as it has no stabilizer for the Sun’s UV rays. Use one of the pool math apps or websites for dosing information. It doesn’t cloud the water or cause limescale. All chlorine used in a pool has a high pH. That is one reason we as pool professionals balance the water chemistry. This article is very wrong and misleading.

4. Pingback: Is It Safe To Put Bleach In A Pool? – gordyfish.com

5. Bob says:

Chlorine bleach and baking powder have kept my pool cleaner this year than the past 10 where I used the “pool Chems”.. I also have my solar panel on 100% of time when pool is not in use.

• Jonathan Schoonbroodt says:

Hi Paul, maybe you don’t have a sensitive skin but I can assure you, throw bleach in pool is cheap (yes) but it can be dangerous (or at least unpleasant) for some people (even if it doesn’t seem to disturb you personnaly). You should have a thouger skin than me! 😅

6. Fred Flintstone says:

I’ve used generic bleach in my pool for years, it works perfect. I have no issues with pH because I use cyanuric acid as a stabilizer. My water is always crystal clear, smells good and feels great.

• Jonathan Schoonbroodt says:

Even if you (happily) don’t seems to experiment personnal issues with bleach as a pool water treatment, we strongly recommend to don’t use bleah but something more appropriate as chlorine.

7. Mary Medore says:

I’m confused. You are saying your tablets are highly concentrated that is the reason for the cost. Then you say the bleach isn’t concentrated enough and you would need excessive quantities to yield the same result. It seems to me the tablets would be more dangerous if they are as you stated and the bleach wouldn’t be strong enough.

• Jonathan Schoonbroodt says:

Hello Mary, a high chlorine concentration is a good thing when you need to keep a water safe and clean as you just put less product for a same result, the issue with bleach is a low concentration BUT a big (and bad) impact on the pH of your water!

8. Taylor says:

Well, you can buy enough bleach to equal the chlorine amount, and the bleach is still cheaper than chlorine!

• Jonathan Schoonbroodt says:

Hello Henry, the price of our tablets can be explained by the very high concentration of active products. 🙂